We're not old, we're retro

Welcome, one and all!

Wednesday 27 July 2011

Turning 40

I dreaded turning 30 from the age of 22. It blighted my 20s. The 40 thing only really occurred to me at 39, and only really in the last week or two became an issue.

But I still wasn't happy about it. I wanted to bury my head in the sand and ignore it. Jess made me have a party. And I'm very pleased she did. It was just what I needed. A night of massive self-indulgence with friends happy to indulge me.

I started it off with my acoustic set. Many people hadn't heard Cold All Alone before, which seemed particularly appropriate on the night.

Dale did an acoustic set, thank you Dale. I only like 2 Tenacious D songs, but I do love those songs very much, so was very pleased he played them both. Many comments about his beautiful voice.

Then a comedy section. Laurence and Paul (Crooke) were excellent. I met Paul only this year on a comedy course Jess booked me on. Nice to have representatives of people I have met throughout life, from 11 (Carl) to someone new in my life. Friends are not just nostalgia, I can still function even at 39 and meet new people.

Laurence and PC played the song Bertie and Ru recorded with Paul (Carroll) for my birthday. Beautiful. I love it. Best gift I had.

Then Who (mostly) covers. The high point of the evening for many, it seemed. There was dancing occurring. Si made an excellent Townshend. PC was great. Kester and Carl were in my first ever band Give Way, over 20 years ago. Had a thoroughly bloody good time. Whilst the process of writing and performing my own material gives me massive spiritual fulfilment, it was fan-bloody-tastic to blast out some of the songs I love listening to. Can't explain, substitute, jilted John, pinball wizard, boys don't cry, I can see for miles and my generation were tremendous fun to sing. Well inside the comfort zone in a way, and yet the first time I think I've ever sung without a guitar on.

Fatbwoi. A friend whom I am a proper fan of. Chicken, zombies, a rare crack whore, a duet. I love his stuff. Its on my ipod and everything. I got to request the set list. I think I went beyond the half hour, oh, just a tad, and further knocked the evening back.

Boomshadow got on about midnight, I think, and when I looked up after the first song, half the guests had left. Last bus? Last train? I shall pretend it was that. I love Boomshadow.

So I had a thoroughly lovely night. Sunflower Lounge have decided not to give us our deposit back for not spending £350 even though we clearly did. But I'm going to ignore that for now. Masssive thanks to Jess, Dale, PC, Laurence, Paul Crooke, Simon, Carl, Kester, PC, Fatbwoi, Paul Harwood, Laurence, PC, Phil and Angela for coming down from Carlisle, and to everyone who came to celebrate with me. I thank you. It meant a lot to me. I hope you enjoyed it too.
Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange

No comments:

Post a Comment